Bechterew's disease is a chronic inflammation of the intervertebral joints, which is fraught with their fusion and subsequent immobilization. In medical practice, it is also called idiopathic ankylosing spondylitis. In men (up to 30 years) this pathology occurs 9 times more often than in women. In addition, this disease is much more difficult for them.
Bechterew's Disease - Causes
This disease refers to idiopathic diseases. This means that the causes of the disease have not been determined to this day. However, it has been scientifically proven that the antigen HLA B27 should be present in the body for the development of this pathological condition. In 90% of patients who are diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, this element is found. The presence of this antigen does not always indicate the development of the disease. An element can be present in the body of those who have a hereditary predisposition to the occurrence of such a pathological condition.
In addition, some experts believe that this ailment develops under the influence of infectious agents. There is a theory that these harmful microorganisms provoke a malfunction in the immune system. As a result, the body begins to develop antibodies not only to the infectious agents themselves, but also to articular tissues. Immunity perceives them as alien bodies. For this reason, begins the self-destruction of the body.
Autoimmune processes are triggered by such factors:
- excessive stress;
- dysfunction of the endocrine system;
- pathologies of the genitourinary system;
- acute and chronic infectious diseases.
Ankylosing spondylitis - classification
There are several forms of the disease. Depending on the area of localization, Bekhterev's disease can have such clinical variants:
- Central form - this species is considered the most common. The disease develops at a very slow rate. First, it attacks the sacrum, and then moves to the upper parts of the spine.
- Risomelic form (it is still known as the root form). Pathology affects the spine and large joints. The disease develops slowly.
- Ankylosing spondylitis is a peripheral form. Inflammation affects the spine and small joints.
- Scandinavian form. With this pathology, the disease affects the spine, and then moves to the joints of the hands, pelvis, shins and feet.
Bechterew's disease - symptoms
To judge the development of this pathological condition helps a number of specific signs. Ankylosing spondylitis symptoms has these:
- feeling of constraint;
- pains in the spine, giving up in hands, legs and buttocks;
- violation of posture;
- deterioration of appetite;
- atrophy of the muscles of the back;
- decrease in the volume of inhaled-exhaled air;
- instability of body temperature (in the morning it can increase).
Bechterew's disease - stages
There are only 3. Ankylosing spondylitis (Bechterew's disease) can have the following stages:
- Initial - there is a slight stiffness in motion. Pain at this stage is small. X-ray often shows the absence of abnormalities or minor pathology.
- Moderate - pain intensifies. Stiffness of movement increases. Radiographic examination shows a decrease in articular fissures.
- Late - accompanied by severe limitations and pain. With instrumental examination, pronounced signs of ankylosis are revealed.
Bechterew's disease - pain
Unpleasant feelings vary in the degree of manifestation and period of occurrence. Juvenile ankylosing spondylitis has these manifestations:
- severe stiffness and pain in the morning, but after 30 minutes these symptoms disappear;
- unpleasant sensations comprehend during movement and in a state of rest their intensity does not decrease;
- the area of pain localization depends on the form of the pathological condition, and its intensity - from the stage of development of the disease.
Bechterew's disease - diagnosis
The patient is assigned such laboratory tests:
- rheumatological test;
- general analysis of blood and urine;
- detection of glucose level;
- a blood test for immunoglobulins and antigens.
Diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis help to put such instrumental manipulations:
- radiography ;
In addition, the following studies help to identify the ailment:
- Ott's test;
- symptom Forestier;
- Shober's test;
- symptom of Zatsepin;
- pain during palpation of the spine.
Bechterew's disease - treatment
There are no miracle drugs that could completely rid of the ailment. In order to slow down the development of the disease and improve the patient's quality of life, an integrated approach is used. All treatment can be divided into the following stages:
- stay of the patient in the hospital (this therapy is recommended during the period of exacerbation);
- sanatorium treatment;
- outpatient therapy.
Here's how to treat Bekhterev's disease:
- drug therapy;
- balneological procedures and so on.
Gymnastics with Bechterew's Disease
Exercises should be selected taking into account the physical condition of the patient and the stage of development of the disease. This gymnastics is prescribed so that the joints are maximally worked through. Exercises for Bechterew's disease include deep turns, rotations, inclinations forward-backward. During such physiotherapy exercises joints should be used as much as possible. In order to have an effect from classes, they should be held regularly. Exercise should be done 30 or more minutes a day.
Massage with ankylosing spondylitis
The impact on affected joints should be easy. Hard massage will cause an exacerbation. In addition, all manipulations should be carried out during the period of remission. When ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed, treatment with massage has such an effect on the body:
- improves blood circulation;
- muscle tone is normalized;
- relieve tension and stiffness;
- pain decreases;
- the mobility is preserved.
Bechterew's disease - treatment drugs
Anti-inflammatory non-steroidal medications are the main remedy in the fight against this ailment. The minimum course of their admission is 1 year. Maximum take these drugs should be 5 years. The most common anti-inflammatory drugs that are prescribed to patients:
- Meloksikam ;
- Nimesil ;
In the severe form of the disease, the following cytostatic medicines are prescribed:
Anti-inflammatory effect of hormonal drugs. More often prescribed such pricks with ankylosing spondylitis:
- Prednisolone ;
Sulfasalazine in Bechterew's disease is considered the most effective medicine. This medication is prescribed for patients who, when they are treated, receive hormone therapy and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. According to medical specialists, it has more strength and effectiveness. However, to ensure that the result is not disappointed, you should adhere to the prescribed dosage and the scheme of taking the medication.
Bechterew's disease - treatment with folk remedies
When treating this ailment, "drugs" of alternative medicine are used. More often in the treatment prescribed such means:
- healing baths;
Bechterew's disease - folk methods of healing with the help of healing baths
- rosemary, needles, sabelnik and sweet clover (in equal parts) - 300 g;
- water - 5 liters.
- Medicinal herbs are placed in a gauze bag and dipped into boiling water.
- After the composition boils, reduce the fire to small and boil for half an hour.
- The broth is cooled and insisted for a couple of hours.
- Filter the drug and pour it into a bath with warm water. The procedure should be 10-15 minutes. Take a bath should be twice or thrice a week for several months in a row.
- the root of the common thymus is 220 g;
- Sunflower oil - 1 dec. a spoon.
- The root of the medicinal plant is ground.
- Mix it with butter.
- Insist a mixture of 18-20 days.
- Rub the compound three times a day in the affected areas of the body. Such procedures are needed for several months in a row.
In case of Bekhterev's disease
A well-organized diet helps to facilitate the patient's condition. Idiopathic ankylosing spondylitis involves eating such foods:
- fresh vegetables and fruits;
- sea salt instead of cookery;
- dairy products with low fat content;
- dried fruits, nuts and seeds;
- green parsley, dill, basil and so on;
- whole-grain cereals;
- low-fat meat;
- salads filled with unrefined oils;
- the student.
In addition, Bekhterev's disease provides for the exclusion of such products from the diet:
- alcoholic beverages;
- semi-finished products;
- fast food;
- canned food;
- smoked, spicy and fried foods;
- refined products;
- Food containing harmful "E-shki".
Bechterev's disease - a prognosis for life
There are many factors that influence the development of a disease:
- what joints are initially affected;
- what are the concomitant diseases;
- in what state the adjacent joints are located.
With timely access to medical care, it is possible to stop the development of the disease and to alleviate the patient's fate. However, if the disease is left without proper treatment, Bekhterev's disease may be disappointing. There is a high probability of the following complications:
- One of 5 patients has a pathology in the functioning of the cardiovascular system. Increased risk of heart attack, hypertension and stroke.
- Bechterew's disease provokes functional insufficiency of various organs (kidneys, liver, heart).
- Develops iritis or uveitis - ailments, accompanied by soreness, loss of vision and photophobia. As a result, the situation can reach partial or complete blindness.
- Because of the disruption of the structure of bone tissue, their increased brittleness is observed. The risk of fracture of the spine increases.
- Less developed "horse tail syndrome" - a condition in which a bundle of nerve roots located in the lower part of the spinal cord is compressed. This complication is manifested by incontinence of feces and urine, numbness of the limbs, severe pain in walking.
- Diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis. In every 10th case, this disease is confirmed when the body afflicts Bekhterev's disease.
- Because of deformation of the chest, the risk of developing pneumonia and tuberculosis increases.