For a good yield, many plants need neutral soil, since nutrients are less digestible on acidic substances, and the effectiveness of fertilizers with a content of potassium and nitrogen is reduced. Accordingly, plants develop worse, not only the quantity decreases, but also the quality of the crop.
How to check the acidity of the soil, in order to take timely measures and rid yourself of unproductive labor on the site, we learn in this article.
Methods for determination of soil acidity
There are several simple ways for those who do not know how to determine the acidity of the soil:
- The first of these requires the acquisition of litmus indicators. Such a set of strips with a reference scale can be bought at a chemical store.
- On the site dig a hole 35 cm deep, we collect land from vertical walls in four different places. A total of 80 grams of soil should be obtained. We mix it with distilled water, compress the indicator together with the wet ground and observe the color changes.
- If the soil is acidic, the paper will acquire a shade from yellow to dark red. If the reaction is alkaline, the indicator will show the color from green to dark blue. Red color - strongly acidic soil, pink - medium, yellow - slightly acidic soil.
- You can make a soil acidity meter yourself and do not buy any sets. For this we need a common red cabbage . Finely chop it and cook in water for 30 minutes, filter. We need the resulting broth. In it, we soak the strips of plain white paper and dry them. Our indicators are ready. We check the soil in the same way as described in the first paragraph.
- We observe the so-called plant-indicators of the acidity of the soil. If the pens are abundantly growing pansies, horsetail, horse sorrel, buttercups and plantains , then the soil is very acidic.
- Neutral soil is chosen clover, mother-and-stepmother, bindweed, blackberry, nettle. Of course, one hundred percent guarantee with this method of determination, no one gives, but many gardeners have in mind these features.
- Vinegar as a determinant of acidity. Take a handful of earth from the site and pour it with droplets of vinegar. If the ground "boils" and you see bubbles, this will mean that the sample is normal in acidity. This experience will remind owners of soda quenching. Actually, this is the whole "focus" - if there is enough lime in the earth, vinegar will "extinguish" it. But if the reaction does not occur, then the soil is strongly acidic and you need to add lime or chalk to it.
- We observe external signs. If in the undeveloped area the water standing in the depressions has a shade of rust and an iridescent film on the surface, and after absorbing the liquid a yellow precipitate remains on it, which means that the land on the site is strongly acidic.
Now that we know how to recognize the acidity of the soil, we can begin to save the situation.
We are depleting the soil
First of all, you need to add chalk or limestone to the acidic soil. Also can be purchased in the special. stores dolomite flour or lime-pushenku.
It is necessary to deoxidize the soil immediately before planting, evenly spreading lime over the garden and mixing it thoroughly with the soil. You will have enough of this liming for 6-8 years. After this, the process will need to be repeated.
The need for liming is obvious. However, it should also be understood that some plants, on the contrary, like a more acidic soil. Therefore, try to be like this individually. If it is required to increase the acidity of the soil, sulfur, pine needles or yogurt will be suitable. You just need to water the plants with their solution.