In fact, the disease in question is a combination of two pathologies: inflammation of the venous wall and the formation of a thrombus, which hampers blood flow. There is an acute and chronic stage, and in the latter case it is difficult to detect thrombophlebitis - the symptoms are not expressed or even absent. In addition, the danger of the disease lies in the fact that it can occur both in superficial veins, when diagnostics do not present difficulties, and in deep ones - it is hidden.
The main symptoms of thrombophlebitis of the lower and upper extremities
First of all, there is a pain syndrome in the affected arm or leg, which is markedly enhanced by physical activity and walking. Some people note unpleasant sensations when palpation of veins and areas near them.
Skin covers near the veins are hyperemia, which eventually gives way to hematomas and bruises. Moreover, in the absence of proper therapy, the skin acquires a dark brown color.
Symptoms of thrombophlebitis also appear in the rise in temperature, both the whole body (up to low-grade values) and limb sites, just above the sites of inflammation localization.
With the defeat of deep veins, there is a small puffiness, which can disappear in the morning.
Now consider the signs of the disease, characteristic of its different forms and stages in more detail.
Thrombophlebitis of the hands - symptoms
It should be noted that in the upper extremities this ailment develops quite rarely and is a very dangerous condition. The fact is that thrombophlebitis can pass to the veins of the neck and chest, and this, in turn, entails thromboembolism of the lungs and a high risk of fatal outcome.
Symptoms of the disease:
- swelling of the veins with the formation of so-called nodules;
- reddening of the skin 15-20 cm above the affected vein;
- small hematomas, vascular networks ;
- a burning sensation or an increase in the temperature of the skin around the inflamed vein.
Symptoms of thrombophlebitis of the legs
In this case, the signs of the disease differ depending on its form, localization and the nature of the course. The most simply diagnosed pathology in the acute stage with shallowly affected veins.
Symptoms of acute superficial thrombophlebitis:
- varicose veins , pronounced;
- a strong increase in body temperature, from 38 degrees and above;
- sharp intense pain along the course of the inflamed vein, especially palpable during touch and walking;
- redness and swelling of the tissues of the limb;
- Damaged vein to the touch is firm and enlarged in size.
Symptoms of deep vein thrombophlebitis of lower extremities:
- pain (raspirayuschaya) in the gastrocnemius;
- edema, especially when the foot is lowered in the sitting position;
- blue hue of the skin of the limb;
- piercing acute pain syndrome with compression of the tibia at the front and back, as well as during palpation.
The most dangerous localization of thrombophlebitis in the lower part of the body is the ileum-femoral segment, since the formed thrombi in this area reach large sizes. At the same time, there are no obvious symptoms and the only sign is pulmonary
Migrating thrombophlebitis - symptoms
This is a rather rare form of the disease, which occurs, as a rule, in men at a young age.
Characteristic signs are very similar to the course of acute surface thrombophlebitis, but the symptoms appear on one limb (upper or lower), then on the other in different zones. At the same time, the patient's state of health remains within normal limits, as does body temperature.
In addition, the migratory type of disease affects not only the veins, but also the nearby arteries.