According to statistics, colic occurs in 80% of infants. During the first three months of life, the neonates are still forming enzymes of the digestive system, and the intestinal walls are not yet rhythmically shortened, which leads to difficulty in the passage of food and colic. Therefore, colic in infants is not considered a disease, but a physiological phenomenon. According to observations of pediatricians and experienced mothers, the probability of colic increases the following factors:
- transition to feeding with artificial mixtures;
- replacement of one milk formula with another;
- incorrect position of the baby during breastfeeding;
- malnutrition of the nursing mother.
Recognize the colic in babies is not difficult. The kid reacts violently to unpleasant sensations in his stomach. The main symptoms of colic are: loud prolonged crying, attempts of the baby to press the legs to the stomach, a strong concern. However, children react differently to colic - some can cry uncontrollably, others - do not go to sleep for a long time, in the third this phenomenon passes almost painlessly. In order not to confuse the colic in infants with another problem, one should observe the baby. If he waves his handles and turns his head, then the problem is in the upper part of the trunk. If the baby knots with legs - a problem in the stomach.
Treatment of colic in infants
Treatment of colic in infants can be done by parents independently. There are a number of ways to reduce the pain in a baby.
- Before each feeding the baby should be spread on the tummy on a flat hard surface. This procedure has a beneficial effect on the entire digestive system of the baby.
- If intestinal colic is observed in infants fed on the milk mixture, then, perhaps, the mixture should be replaced. It is often the mixture that causes a disorder in the digestive system of the baby.
- During an attack, the baby's colic should be placed on his back and pressed his hand to his stomach. Pressure reduces pain in the child.
- A tight bi-directional diaper should be well heated with an iron and tied the baby's belly with it. This procedure is very effective during an attack of colic in infants. Another way is to put a hot diaper on the mother's stomach, and put the baby on top of the baby's belly down. The diaper should not be scalding, otherwise the child can be harmed.
- Give the child water. Children who are breastfed should not be given water or other foods for up to six months. But in the case of serious colic, water can alleviate the child's anguish. Children who are fed water are necessary.
- Give the child a special tea with fennel. These teas can be given to children, starting from 1 month, but not permanently. With their regular admission, you need to take a break for a few days.
If none of the above methods help, you should consult your doctor. The doctor will prescribe a baby a drug that will neutralize the gas formation in the baby's body and relieve the pain. Parents should remember that any medicines are extremely undesirable to infants, so they should be given only in the most extreme cases.
When breastfeeding, the mother's nutrition plays a big role. There are products that cause colic in infants, which a woman should be excluded from her diet during breastfeeding. These products include: fresh vegetables, nuts, beans, foods containing caffeine and cow's milk.
Many parents are interested in the question "When do babies get colic?" . As a rule, this trouble lasts from the age of three weeks to three months. After three months the digestive system of the child becomes more perfect, and the pain sensations cease to overcome the baby and disturb his parents.