Couples planning to replenish, but who can not conceive for more than a year, are recommended to undergo a survey. And the problem can be covered not only in the malfunctions of the female reproductive system, but also with the same percentage of probability associated with male fertility . Not the least role in this is the lack of mobility of spermatozoa.
Assessment of motility of spermatozoa
Only the strongest male sex cells can penetrate the female egg, which can overcome many obstacles and reach the fallopian tube. To determine their activity, special tests for motility of spermatozoa are carried out, conducted during laboratory-microscopic examination of male ejaculate. Such an analysis is called a spermogram and includes the establishment of several indicators to assess the possibility of conceiving a child , to identify some diseases of the reproductive system.
The mobility of spermatozoa is assessed by the speed and direction of their movement. By this term is meant the ability of sperms to perform translational rectilinear movements with a speed not lower than normal. If the cells perform vibrational, circular or other kinds of movement or move with a low speed, they speak of weak mobility. Microscopic examination of sperm should be carried out by one laboratory technician with sufficient experience in this field.
Sperm motility is the norm
Carrying out the analysis on the mobility of spermatozoa, the degree of their mobility is set as a percentage, considering all the spermatozoa on the slide. According to this indicator, male sex cells are classified into four groups:
- A - quickly and directly moving (speed more than 50 mcm / s);
- B - slowly but directly moving;
- C - committing non-moveable movement or very slow moving;
- D are fixed.
In normal cells belonging to the first group, should be more than 25%, and the sum of the first and second - at least 50%. Absolutely motionless spermatozoa should be less than half of the total number, and cells with a lack of rectilinear movement - no more than 2%. In addition, the number of correctly moving cells is taken into account, the duration of their mobility is determined. For this, the sample is held for two hours in a thermostat and a second visual calculation is carried out. During this time, the deterioration in the mobility indices is normally not more than 20%.
Low sperm motility
If the analysis reduces the mobility of spermatozoa, this condition is called astenozoospermia and is divided into three degrees:
- Easy - the speed of movement of cells of categories A and B, determined one hour after ejaculation, is observed for conception in 50% of spermatozoa.
- Moderate - an hour after sample collection for analysis, more than 70% of cells in category D.
- Heavy - ejaculate contains more than 80% of immobile and atypical spermatozoa.
Based on the data obtained, therapeutic tactics are determined. The reasons for the poor mobility of spermatozoa are different - from diseases of the reproductive system to radiation effects on the male accessory genital glands. In a number of cases, the causative factor can not be established, and asthenozoospermia is considered to be ideopathic (approximately 30% of patients).
What affects sperm motility?
When searching for the causes of asthenozoospermia and the possibility to influence the increase in motility of spermatozoa, consider a number of major provoking factors:
- Problems with the endocrine system - often the culprit is a reduced level of the hormone testosterone due to age-related changes, injuries, tumors, etc. In addition, other hormones - secreted by the thyroid gland and pituitary gland - can affect the quality of the ejaculate.
- Arterial hypertension - with this pathology there is a violation of normal blood supply to the genital organs.
- Varicocele is an expansion of the veins of the spermatic cord, which causes an increase in temperature in the scrotum.
- Thermal effect on the testicles, related, inter alia, with the wearing of warm underwear, professional working conditions, etc.
- Insufficient amount of vitamins and microelements in the body, leading to a failure of the synthesis of protein structures of the sex cells.
- Delayed ejaculation, associated with sexual problems, bad habits, etc.
- Urogenital infections.
- Genetic disorders of development of genital organs, in the structure of flagellate apparatus of spermatozoa.
- Unfavorable working conditions (the effect of electromagnetic radiation, radiation, heat, chemicals, etc.).
- Autoimmune pathologies .
How to increase sperm motility?
Only after carrying out all the examinations and getting the full possible picture of the existing malfunctions it is possible to determine how to increase sperm motility in each specific case. The scale of medical intervention can be different - from lifestyle adjustments to long-term pharmacological treatments and surgical interventions. In the absence of serious pathologies, you often just need to give up bad habits , play sports, introduce necessary substances into the diet and protect yourself from stress.
Drug for motility of spermatozoa
Complex therapy for this problem may include tablets to increase the motility of spermatozoa, related to such groups:
- testosterone preparations (Proviron, Androxon, Test);
- gonadotropins (Prophase, Pregnil);
- means for improving regional blood flow (Trental, Actovegin).
In addition, men seeking to have a baby can be recommended drugs to increase the mobility of spermatozoa related to dietary supplements:
- Tenteks forte and so on.
Vitamins for motility of spermatozoa
Asking the question how to improve sperm motility, it is necessary to take care of sufficient intake of vitamins, microelements, vitamins into the body:
- vitamins A, E, B, D, C;
Nutrition for increasing the activity of spermatozoa
It is proved that the small mobility of spermatozoa is often observed in men who do not adhere to the principles of healthy nutrition, having excess weight. Therefore, the diet should be corrected first and should start with the rejection of fast food, fatty and fried foods, smoked products. The prevalence of the following foods in the diet is encouraged:
- Fish and seafood;
- milk, dairy products;
- pumpkin seeds;