To solve some problems, there is not always enough in-depth analysis. Sometimes it is easier to catch a clever idea in a stormy sea of ideas than from an even surface of measured reverie. In this case, it is justified to use the technique of brainstorming, the purpose of which is to quickly find the right solution.
The essence of the method of brainstorming is a collective surge of ideas, sometimes even the most fantastic ones. To do this, each participant should express as many options as possible, and the most successful of them are then subjected to a more serious analysis. Brainstorming is somewhat similar to the game, and therefore, ideas that normally come with a creak, thanks to this technique, are creative and effective.
The founder of the method of brainstorming was Alex Osborne, who advanced the theory that often unusual but fresh ideas remain buried under the fear of disapproval, mockery and blame from colleagues or superiors. That is why the concept of brainstorm categorically excludes the evaluation of ideas at the stage of their utterance, and only the most successful ones are subjected to further analysis.
Initially, all thoughts are positioned as those that have the right to life, when using the technique of brainstorming, the number, and not the quality of the ideas, is first important. And then the reverse transformation takes place.
Effectiveness of brainstorming
The effectiveness of the method of brainstorming has been repeatedly proven by various studies. In addition, despite the established stereotype that this technique is appropriate for people of creative professions, literate brainstorming can be used in all areas when effective solutions to a difficult task are needed. Another plus of the method - brainstorming allows us to rally the collective, increase the self-esteem of each employee, who will feel the importance of his opinion. In the future, individual brainstorming techniques can be used as an exercise for solving less important tasks.
Stages of brainstorming
- formulation of the problem. It is very important to correctly form a task that requires a quick solution, so that in the future everyone moves to the same goal. At the same stage, participants and moderators are selected;
- the generation of ideas is the main stage, during which the participants express the maximum number of options for solving the formulated problem. It is necessary to determine the time for this stage, basically, the academic hour is enough;
- Selection and subsequent evaluation of the ideas expressed. It is very important that this part does not become a semblance of the previous one. Now the participants, moderators and facilitator need to gather to soberly assess the feasibility of the options presented.
Types of brainstorming
In addition to the classical method of brainstorming, there are several more of its varieties:
- individual brainstorming. Unlike classical brainstorming, the essence of this method is that each participant writes down his ideas, and then gives them up for consideration. Used in situations where it is impossible to assemble a team at one time;
- brainstorming. In this case, the audience is divided into two groups. Some participants ask questions or generate ideas, and
The second group should process the incoming decisions and answer questions;
- reverse cerebral attack. The goal of the reverse brainstorming is to identify the shortcomings of the existing system. Just like ideas, criticism can be unlimited. On the basis of identifying problems, a specific task is posed.
It is very important that brainstorming does not turn into an ordinary meeting or sit-down with anecdotes. To do this, strictly regulate the time and choose a competent leader, able to direct the conversation in the right direction.