Breastfeeding newborns - tips
Recommendations for breastfeeding will help ensure optimal feeding of the baby. For this, it is worth reading some tips:
- apply the child to the chest immediately after childbirth;
- Do not feed him from the bottle until the baby is used to taking the nipple;
- give the child a breast, as soon as he asks, let him eat as long as he likes;
- Do not replace the bottle at night.
Tips for breastfeeding in the early days
After giving birth, the mother has colostrum. In the first hour after the appearance of the baby, start feeding. Milk occurs on 3-4 days. Having started breastfeeding, advice on its implementation will give the doctor, but the general recommendations are:
- Do not overfill your chest, do not drink large amounts of liquid;
- feed the tighter mammary gland. If the bust continues to hurt, then express the milk.
Future parents will benefit from a list of recommendations on the topic of breastfeeding, the advice of nursing mothers are as follows:
- Childbirth with cesarean or putting the baby to the chest later than within the first hour after birth, provoke a delay in the appearance of milk.
- Having started breastfeeding, the advice of a breastfeeding woman is reduced to the correct seizure of the nipple by the baby during the first application (this will save the breast from cracks and painful sensations in the future feeding).
- You can not take the breast properly, the kid himself, so you should help the baby. Open the mouth of the child, press it close to him, the mouth of the child should be not only on the nipple, but also to capture the areola.
Breastfeeding - advice for breastfeeding mother, food
The diet of the feeding mother of the newborn should not be increased dramatically. Do not starve, you need to eat fresh and healthy food. Products that are included in the nutrition of the nursing mother, divide into small portions and eat several times a day. Consider your appetite and eat according to your desire, always have something at hand for a snack.
Diet of a nursing mother
The first food the baby receives is breast milk. Therefore, the nutrition of the nursing mother in the first month should be selected especially carefully, for example:
- drink 2.5 liters of liquid, almost everything will go to lactation;
- eat 300-350 g of fruits and berries a day (any species, except exotic);
- add to the diet fish (hake, cod), rye bread, cereals (millet, buckwheat, oats), dairy products, stews / boiled meats, butter (sunflower, corn 15 g / day, cream 30 g / day), pasta (from hard varieties);
- vegetables (carrots, beets, pumpkin) - 450 g / day in raw or cooked form;
- marshmallow, pastille (from natural ingredients) 1-2 times a week in small portions.
At 2-6 months of life, the baby can connect new products and slightly reduce the number of previously allowed:
- it is allowed to reduce the amount of raw fruits and vegetables (seasonal), add boiled food, fresh onions;
- meat (rabbit, chicken, veal)
- Eat lean borsch, where dressing from pasteurized tomatoes or tomato juice;
- Nuts (exclude pistachios, peanuts);
- fruit drinks, natural juices;
- honey, jam from apples or cherries;
- Spices (mint, lemon balm, basil, thyme).
From the 6th month of the baby's life and up to a year such products are allowed in a moderate amount:
- fried, but not greasy dishes;
- cow's milk, eggs, soy, products containing gluten;
- chocolate, exotic fruits (each is introduced carefully, one per week), seafood, garlic. Experimenting with new food is best in the morning.
In the next six months or a year, do not ignore the recommendations given earlier. The above diet contains foods that will help you not only to keep in shape after giving birth and have good health, so you will give the child the necessary elements for development and growth. From the moment of pregnancy it is necessary to exclude soda, salting, smoking, sausage, canned food.
Breastfeeding mother should remember that fasting "for weight loss" or eating for two should not be. The best solution is to start eating properly. Diet during breastfeeding a newborn should contain a pyramid of essential substances: proteins, fats, carbohydrates. Take food at least 4 times a day, hot meals eat 2 times a day, alternating with light snacks.
Hypoallergenic diet for lactating mothers implies the exclusion from the diet (for 2-3 months) of products provoking allergies in the parent. When connecting new food, examine the baby: a rash, a change in the "stool" indicates a possible allergic reaction. Applying a trial (with new products) breastfeeding, all advice to nursing mother should not be ignored. To make sure of a negative reaction, enter a new product into the diet in a month.
Problems of breastfeeding
If you follow all the rules (keep your chest warm, make pumping), you need to find the core of the problem, and figure out why the wet nurse does not have milk. There can be three reasons for this situation: lactostasis, mastitis or hypogalactia. Problems with breastfeeding at the mom should not serve as an excuse for tearing the baby from the chest.
Stagnation of milk is possible after 2-6 days after birth. Lactostasis begins because of the delay in emptying the breast. In this case it is recommended:
- keep the bust warm;
- massage it during feeding to the nipples;
- decant the remnants of milk after feeding;
- put warm compresses on the bust.
Mastitis - clogging of the milk duct. The ailment provokes the appearance of temperature, chest tightening. If the chair of the young child has acquired a green color and an unpleasant smell, it is recommended to suspend feeding. in the milk got pus. Methods of prevention:
- decanting the milk (exclusively breast pump!);
- wear a bra without pips;
- do not overcool the chest.
Hypogalactia is an inadequate production of milk. Because of the lack of a product, the baby becomes capricious. The disease is the reason why the infant ignores breastfeeding, the doctor can give advice to the nursing mother. He will prescribe medicinal products (mainly herbal preparations), prescribe a diet and prompt a method for expressing milk.
No milk after delivery - what to do?
Sometimes the most necessary food in the first year of a baby's life is temporarily lost due to an operation during childbirth. Mummies wonder: "If there is no milk after cesarean, what should I do?". Instead, it appears colostrum. It is enough to give the karapuzu the necessary norm of nutrients. The problem with feeding is provoked by several factors:
- impossibility of first applying to the breast;
- the habit of the baby to the nipple;
- belated arrival of milk;
- anesthesia or antibiotics prescribed to the wet nurse.
After the operation, you will be given a baby. Ensure feeding in the first 6 hours of its appearance, at this time, the sucking activity of the baby is especially high. Do not allow the baby to feed from the nipple before it is applied to the nipple, then it will be difficult for him to adjust to the breast. Help the child: grasp the chest closer to the halo and try to put the nipple deeper into the baby's mouth.
There is not enough milk for breastfeeding
A condition in which a newborn is undernourished is called hypogalactia. How to understand that the child does not have enough milk? Determine this will help the baby's condition:
- the karapuz does not fall asleep at the end of feeding, but turns and shows discontent;
- wakes up earlier than the prescribed time for feeding;
- there is a "hungry" chair - rare, denser in consistency, darker.
Often you can hear the question of the parents, where the topic of difficult breastfeeding rises, all the advice to nursing mothers are reduced to simple, affordable and effective:
- fall asleep for a couple of hours near the child;
- give the baby a chest for each of his demands, because the less he eats, the more difficult it is to preserve lactation;
- massage the bust: every 7-10 minutes, decant milk drops, after - continue stimulation.
The child refuses the breast
Several factors can serve as a reason for the baby's failure from the breast:
- use of nipples or pacifiers;
- incorrect grip of the nipple;
- violent separation of the baby from the breast or ignoring his desire to eat.
Mothers, who are worried about the question "what to do if the baby does not take the breast?", You should calm down and understand that there are a number of ways that will help you feel the connection with the baby more strongly, thereby spurring it on voluntary attachment to the nipple:
- more often wear a baby in his arms or in a sling;
- Do not pass the kid into the hands of strangers, rarely give it to relatives;
- Ensure the child is in contact with his skin;
- take a joint bath with an open breast if the child loves water procedures;
- sleep with the child, especially at night.
WHO recommendations on breastfeeding
The World Health Organization aims to create a healthy society. The rules of breastfeeding on the recommendations of the WHO will ensure the correct supply of food to the baby, as close as possible to his mother. Basic rules from the organization of health:
- make the first application within an hour after delivery;
- be with the newborn in one ward;
- feed the baby at his first request, without taking the baby from the bust by himself;
- do not give the baby any other fluids other than breast milk;
- discard the nipples and bottles;
- breastfeed until the child turns 1.5-3 years old.
Using simple instructions, any mom will breastfeed correctly, while avoiding, at the same time, possible damage to the nipples and bust. To the general rules, add a few more: do not make big breaks between applications, day and night, more often decant to stimulate the production of milk, always check whether the baby swallowed food.