For a long time, the useful properties of not only the fruits of the plant, but also other parts of it have been studied: stem, leaves and root. Everyone familiar with their sweet and sour bilberry cranberries to folk healers is more interested in their leaves, which possess medicinal qualities.
Let's understand, what useful properties possesses a leaf of cranberries, and what contra-indications exist for its application in treatment.
The healing properties of cranberry leaves
Scientists have established that the leaves of cranberries contain a very large number of useful substances:
- flavonoids (in large quantities);
- wine, cinchona, ellagic, benzoic acids;
- vaccine, lycopene, glycosides;
- vitamins B1, B3, B6, B9 and C;
- microelements: potassium, manganese, calcium and others;
- sugar, but in a lower concentration than in berries;
This combination contributes to the fact that the leaves act as a diuretic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antipyretic, astringent and wound-healing agent, and also as a sedative.
Most common leaves of cranberries are used in the treatment of diseases of the genitourinary system (cystitis, pyelonephritis and the formation of stones), but they are also effective for the treatment of the following diseases:
- herpes and influenza;
- arthritis, osteochondrosis and rheumatism;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- bacterial infection, especially staphylococcal;
- angina and problems in the oral cavity ( stomatitis , ulcers).
They can also treat various allergies, prevent the formation of cancer tumors, use to relieve swelling and reduce temperature.
Recipes with leaves of cowberries
There are several ways in which you can prepare a medicine from cranberry leaves.
- We take 1 tbsp. l. dried leaves and pour 250 ml of boiling water.
- We put on a small fire, cover with a lid and boil for half an hour.
- The resulting broth is allowed to cool, filter and squeeze.
- We add water to the original volume.
- Before drinking, the broth should be diluted with water or green tea, in a ratio of 1: 1.
When treating diseases of the bladder and the formation of stones, it is recommended to drink 125 ml of warm broth after half an hour after a meal, and for prevention - 60 ml once a day.
- We fall asleep in a thermos 1 tsp. raw materials and fill them with 0.5 cup of boiling water.
- We close and leave to infuse for 2-3 hours.
- After this, the product must be filtered and wrung out.
With cholelithiasis, flu and colds take 2 tbsp. spoons 4-6 times a day, and with rheumatism of 125 ml every 6 hours.
- We take 2 tbsp. l. dry leaves and pour 1 liter. boiling water.
- We close it and wrap it in fabric, so that it is well brewed, for 10-15 minutes.
- Then filter and add honey as desired.
To increase immunity , raise the general tone and mood, remove swelling during pregnancy, and also to give strength and vigor, it is recommended to drink this curative tea 3-4 times a day.
Contraindications to the use of leaves of cowberries
To the leaves of red whortleberry at the same time do not harm your health, you should take into account the existing contraindications:
- the age of children under 12;
- low blood pressure, while always following a 10-day break after 1-2 weeks of treatment, since there may be a worsening of the condition;
- increased gastric acidity and the presence of such diseases as an ulcer or gastritis;
- an allergic reaction to berries;
- acute renal failure.
Even knowing the medicinal properties of cranberry leaves and contraindications to the use, before using them in the treatment should consult with a doctor.